Is the Zigo Leader good for special needs children?
Many people ask if the Zigo Leader Carrier Bike is good for special needs children, and if it makes a good special needs stroller. The answer depends on the specific details of your special needs child, but the answer for many families is 'Yes'.
The advantages of the the Zigo Leader for special needs children are:
- Using the Zigo Leader as a carrier bike, your special needs child is always in front, where you can see, touch, control, and comfort. You do not have the concerns of risking a special needs child in a conventional, trail behind bike trailer.
- With the Zigo Leader Carrier Bike System, you do not need to make transfers from trailer to wheelchair. For example, ride your child someplace with the Zigo Leader then simply uncouple the ChildPod from the Cycle and you have a stroller. No more inconvenient transfers.
- Putting the stroller in front of the bike means plenty of visual stimulation for your child.
We are sure that once you try it, you will be riding a Zigo Leader with your children frequently.
About the Carrier
The Zigo Leader X2 Carrier Bicycle is the perfect way for children with special needs to join in the family fun. You can easily observe and assist your special needs child when he/she is in the forward-positioned ChildPod.
“In sight” equals “in control”. The ViewPort affords quick, instant visual communication, while the AccessPort allows for a calming touch while riding. No more awkward twisting to see a rear mounted seat or trailer! Using LeaderLink technology, the ChildPod is easily coupled or uncoupled from the Cycle in a matter of seconds, creating a fully functional stroller (or jogger with optional Zigo Jogger Kit). This means not having to transfer your special needs child to another stroller or chair when you are done riding. Just uncouple the ChildPod from the Cycle and you can walk, shop, or sit in a restaurant or cafe with your child.
- Tadpole (two wheels in front) design keeps the Zigo Leader stable. Hop-on and hop-off stress-free to attend to your child’s needs; you can even do this while still straddling the bike.
- Parking brake keeps the carrier bike in place while you assist your child.
- 5-point safety harness.
- Bright, attention grabbing colors.
- Front bumper.
- Orange safety flag.
- Large, reflective safety stripe.
- Environment Control System (accessory) protects ChildPod passengers from the elements.
- Rated for up to 80 lbs.
- Meets all relevant ASTM and European standards.
- AblePlay Rating of 4 out of 5 on all measurements.